Tuesday 4 November 2008

**WARNING: socio-political rant I warned you might happen** USA Election Day 2008

I am not a hater. I was brought up by loving liberal parents and I like to think I'm pretty accepting of most things. American poitical propaganda however, is an exception, as is the glorifying of religion to achieve a political aim (particularly one which is inconsistent with the values of modern society).

Anyway, I was just directed towards a video on youtube which made me want to throw up just a little bit, and have a good old rant just a little bit more (hence the blogpost:p). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wj4tJICcc It has been posted as a reminder to catholics across America to vote in line with their faith - okay. It contains slogans such as 'the family must be upheld not redefined', across the image of a homosexual wedding - not okay. Furthermore it used images of firefighters taken on 9/11 to portray the message that society must be protected Sure, one of the functions of politics is the protection of its nationals but equally our politicians should be seeking to create a world which is safer to reside in through better international diplomacy. Imagery which reminds the world of atrocities like 9/11 are only likely to stir up feelings of anger and resentment, indeed it is only going to purpetuate the war 'on terror' and stir up hatred for the islamic world. It might just be me, but I am more concerned about the people dying in Iraq in an oil fueled illegal war (no-one have a go for presenting opinion as fact because the United Nations have recently acquiesced that it was in fact an illegal war in violation of a jus cogens prohibition on the use of force) than I am about the fact that women across America might be able to get an abortion if they choose to.

Stuff like this makes me really angry (can you tell? :p) I really don't want to offend anyone but it strikes me as absurd that in this day and age relgion and the concept of God and higher law should come into politics, it is outright dangerous, particularly when it comes to choosing the leader of the free world. (I'm sure there is some famous quote from Bush relating to the war in Iraq being a mission from god...is this really so far removed from your toddler saying it was their imaginary friend who spilt the milk over?) Faith is a wonderful thing, which I've been assured enriches the lives of many, but it does not belong in the political arena.

Another message sent out by the video is that the USA was founded by thousands of catholic immigrants. This is true, however it is also true that the United States of America was originally founded as a nation based upon no particular religion or creed where people had the freedon to practice their faith or lifestyle as they chose to. (Well we didn't want the puritains here did we ;p). How this has dissolved into the farce we have today is a mystery, particularly when compared to the political regime in England, which is supposed to be entirely Church Of England, and yet where religion seems to play an incredibly minor role.

Anyway I hope i havnt offended anyone I really didnt mean to. I anxiously await the election results in the morning and my best wishes and support go to Obama.

On a slightly lighter note, go watch this - dedicated to Sarah Palin (watch out for her cameo appearance :P) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUba4aq8imk

4 comments:

Janet said...

EXACTLY :-)
Go go Prez Obama :-) Yeah :-)
Love
Janet
xx

Alix said...

lol thanks janet, when i read it back i was wondering if I was a raving mad woman :p
yay obama!

Josie Knight said...

Mother...did you just call him "Prez"?? :P

Alix, I completely agree with you. Religion has its role, and in some countries that is involved in politics (Muslim countries for example) but USA supposedly a secular society!!

I'm quite pleased Obama won, not that I had any idea what he stood for, but on facebook the "flair" things annoyed me because they were really hatey and disgusting behaviour.

Charli

xx

Janet said...

Soreeeee - President Elect Obama!! Is that better Charli??
American politics has long been influenced hugely by religion - the bible belt, or Jewish monetary votes. Hopefully this time the right man won, and we can move away from that!
Lots of love
Mummy
xxxx